Friday, September 12, 2014

Little things

      Bonjour! Since my last update, my schedule has stayed consistent with few events that have thrown me for a loop. To start off on a more somber note, I am still trying to comprehend the passing of my great-grandma Simone. I had been told for some time now that she wouldn't have much time left but there was a part of me that desperately hoped she could hold off until the spring so I could visit her one last time. Unfortunately, life and death have their own calendar and I was subject to learning what happened over family posts on Facebook. I received a text from my mom around 1 in the morning here and thought it strange she would text me so late knowing our time difference. Had I remembered to reply before scrolling through my feed, I would have had the news sooner.  The reason I bring this up is because I realize that every choice can lead to un intended consequences. I made the desicion to fly 5,000 miles away for 8 months to try something new and different. What keeps gnawing at my heart is the reality I had a chance to visit this beloved woman while I was in Oregon over the summer. After coaching a team volleyball camp in Bend, I had the choice to either make the extra hour drive to La Pine or head straight to Eugene and soon after Seattle. Fueling my guilt is the fact I chose the latter due to my own exhaustion and excuse that she would probably be too tired to visit with me while I was there. Not that it would have changed the inevitable, but the fact I am here away from my family during this time is tough to swallow. 
    Something like this is exactly a type of fear I had before leaving for Switzerland. I knew I would have to sacrifice certain events and time with people I love to have this experience. It's not that I didn't have similar sacrifices in college.  I haven't been able to spend a birthday with my little brother for four straight years and after this spring, he'll be in high school!  But of course Seattle is a measly 5 hour drive back to Eugene.  I don't have the time or money to fly back for the memorial service which sucks because my grandmother meant a lot to me.  I know if I begged enough, I could get the time and find the money but I don't think she would want me blubbering in a small church about her. She was someone who wanted the best for her family. When I saw her last, I was extremely excited to tell her my plans to come to Europe and hopefully meet the family she had to leave behind in France. We talked volleyball and boys and she was so happy for me to learn my guy is much taller than myself. Her little mischievous smile made it seem like she wasn't sick at all. The only thing different since the last time I had seen her after I graduated high school was her white hair. She still had the cute thick French accent that could curse like a sailor. I wish I had asked her more about her life. I once interviewed her in middle school for an Ellis Island project on family heritage. I feel like I should have tried again to learn as much about her past and all of her favorite stories. I still remember listening to her sing a little French song that she would sing to all of us grand kids when we were young. I wish I had it memorized. 
    But at the same time I know she doesn't want me or my family to wallow in sadness. So instead I think of my favorite memories of her. Going to her little log cabin to visit her and grandpa Charlie. I think I watched the movie Milo and Otis every single time I was there. Cousin camp with the entire Campbell clan, up to three generations of extended family. This lady had 11 children, my grandmother being the oldest. When we get together as a big group, it's a party. The year I decided to take French in 7th grade and was so excited to have her help me learn my numbers up to twenty. (Un, deux, trois....vingt!)   I was very fortunate to have met her because I realize now how rare it is to have known and grown up with the parents of your own grandparents. (I guess having children before the age of 25 also helps but I plan on starting a new tradition myself...you're welcome mom and dad) 
   So knowing that her 5 foot nothing frame would kick my ass for moping, I am going to instead end this on a happier note. It has officially been one month since I landed in Europe. In one month a few days, we will have our first match of the season to go after the Swiss cup. I am really looking forward to playing in matches and seeing more of this country. Tomorrow, we are playing in a friendly scrimmage against a French team in Neuchâtel. I hope there is room enough for me to jump serve because I am itching to rack up some aces for the hell of it. Soon my roommate Vannessa will be joining me in the Shire during the days we have practice. I am pretty sure she is the Brazillian equivalent of me with her bubbly personality and wide smile. I am now in heaven because my dad and Shelley have sent me peanut butter and that's all I want to eat now. It's amazing the little things that matter. ("When I realize the importance of little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things"....not sure if that was the correct quote but it always pops in my head thank you UW volleyball.) the weather here has been quite temperamental going from sunny and 70 to loud thunderstorms with rain that pelts my roof relentlessly. Quite cozy weather when I all do in my free time is read. And just like that I only have 7 months and change left here. I can already tell once match play begins, I'll be back on a plane before I can blink. Living it up while I can. I wouldn't be here if wasn't for my family and friends.  Especially this  special lady who started it all with a trip across the ocean that would change her life and pave the way for mine.

A bientôt, Gabrielle Simone Parker 


P.S: Yesterday in remembrance of 9/11, I want to say thank you to all the; troops, police officers firefighters, and especially my family who serves for everything you do. I saw this quote in a tweet yesterday and felt it strongly appropriate for my mood this past week "On days like today, hug people a little tighter. Say thank you a little more. Repeat every day after"



No comments:

Post a Comment