Friday, August 15, 2014

Wandering in translation

      Yesterday evening marked my first pro practice. What a weird thing to be able to say I must admit. I met a few of my teammates I will be playing with as well as some junior players who practice with the team until the actual season begins. Everyone is friendly and those who can, step right up and talk to me in English and help translate for others.  We start with 30 minutes of a circuit like workout and even though my coach explains everything in French, my extensive experience with various workouts over the years makes it quite easy to follow.  Even with low weights and a short amount of time at each station, my leisure summer break has definitely caught up with me. Or we can say I still have jet lag. That sounds better anyway.  I was also not too bright in forgetting any sort of water bottle...rookie mistake.  But soon we jump right into what I traveled 5,125 miles for, volleyball! Setters were sent to the other court while hitters and defenders worked on digging a hit from one of us, rolling, digging again then hitting off of a tossed ball. To all my GMS people, I can feel you cringing at the word "roll". I for one haven't done a roll since I went to volleyball camp in middle school.  All I could hear in my head was Jim's voice saying "bellies not butts". I am definitely not in Kansas anymore.

        Even with the change in style, I had a blast touching a ball again.  I was expecting to struggle with the  international ball more than I did.  Still not great but I wasn't sent home so that's good.  After defense we were able to pass and serve some and before I knew it practice was over!  What I am happiest to report is that all the girls seem to have welcomed me wholeheartedly and I even surprised them with the limited French I do know. C'est fantastique!  And in true fashion, one of my teammates played with UW alum Kelcey Dunaway which means I am turning into my mother. Only we can travel around the world and meet people with little degree of separation. I am excited for tonight because we get to do some actual playing instead of just drills. Overall a positive experience to kick off my training here.

      Today began early to go with my coach and teammate to help her with some paperwork at her nation's embassy. Unfortunately, that fell through so instead she agreed to cook us a traditional Portuguese meal for lunch called "alheira". Alex my coach forewarned me I in no way needed to eat it if I did not like it so already I was a little alarmed. Trying new foods is still a work in progress for me.  To begin, Leticia (I am probably spelling her name wrong) began peeling potatoes and boil them up. Potatoes are good, I love starch! 

The main aspect of the dish is what might scare someone away.  What looks like to be a sort of sausage, this dish's meat is cow that has been blended with bread. As she was explaining what was in it, she said "vaca" and "pain".  When I could say what it meant without translation, I was pretty pleased with my self. Fun fact: she knows French, Portugese, and English. Listening to her conversation with my Brazillian coach, I can hear a blend of all three during our conversation. Lots of smiling and nodding by me and with each occasional word I understand, I mimic like a toddler who's learned a new word.  She cooks the meat in a skillet and soon lunch is served.  After numerous warnings again that it is a little different, I finally take the plunge.  With my first bite, I tried to keep a poker face and an open mind. I can honestly say that it wasn't bad at all! It reminded me of eating slow cooked beef or brisket. Smoky flavor that had a less chewy texture because of the bread.  Definitely different but I was able to eat more than one bite which was fun. 
This is definitely something as a kid, I would refuse to even look at.  Now it's almost a "don't think just do attitude" which has payed off immensely.

     Today is the last day of practice before the weekend so hopefully I have much more to write about by Sunday. Just wanted to say thanks for all the positive feedback about the blog so far. It feels weird putting myself out there this way but I guess it's another thing I get to check off my bucket list. 

Ciao!

Gabriella

No comments:

Post a Comment