Monday, August 25, 2014

Welcome to Middle-Earth


        
    Even on a cloudy day, my new view is beautiful. My panorama picture skills suck pretty bad. I took this picture at least 6 times and couldn't keep the camera level.  Welcome to Travers! Another small village similar to Couvet that is about a 5 minute drive from my previous location.  Don't worry, I still live on a hill and therefore have the pleasure of getting a workout to and from my home everyday. Less stairs and incline though so that is actually something to be excited about. My new flat is a side addition to a family home that regularly rents out the space to previous foreigners that have played for my club. The landscape is beautiful and surrounded by rolling hills and farmland.  There are cows everywhere. (Il y a des vaches partout.) I'm still practicing my French and I only had to use google for half of that sentence. Everything here is really great, except the flies that seem to want to be my roommates. I had one flying above my head all night my first night here. Going to invest in some sort of swatter in the near future. (Les mouches sont stupides) Enough of that though, guess I should give a quick tour of the new place.
                                    
      First thing through the door you see the closet, et le salon ( living room/area I think).  To the right, my "bedroom", my roommates "bedroom", and our "dining room". I can't really say "room" but a sleeping, eating, and leisure area. I share this studio/flat with the other foreigner who is from Brazil. I will be here full time while she goes to and from her other more permant residence elsewhere in the country. Not enough giraffe decor but I was able to bring at least one item from home. Now you can't read on until you find him.........got it? Good, moving on.  On the other side of my dining area, we have the office space where many important documents and work can be done. Buuuuuut, I'm not a student anymore so that will be just for decoration. WOOHOO!  Next is where all the magic happens, la   cuisine!
        Ici (here) is my kitchen.  It has a really cute countryside feel to it.  There is a window I can open in the RARE case that I burn something while cooking.  


     The best part of this room is the stove.

                                                                           

I get to either cook like this or hunch over. "It's a kitchen for ants!" Brownie points for the premier (first) person who comments with the correct guess of that movie reference. I just read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in a week (I tend to read like a mad woman when the book is good) so I feel like Gandalf in the the Baggins' residence.  It's funny because the sink area is actually just right but due to the architecture of the slanted ceiling, it is much lower here.  It has character therefore I am entertained by the situation....for now. 
     Now for the best part, what you all have been waiting for! The bathroom. But first, I need to walk inside...

                                      

Yes it's true, I actually moved to the Shire and live amongst hobbits.  And yes I have already hit my head.  All jokes aside, this place is really nice and the family next door are incredibly helpful in making me feel at home.  Even as I'm writing this, I can see the sun trying to burn through the clouds via my window that serves as a sky light.  I receive a meal once a day that is delivered to my mail box.  I would talk more about that, but I plan on a full post for that subject another day. This is the Parker home until April rolls around. I really hope it snows a bit here because I can only imagine how beautiful the view will be. You'd think that would be guaranteed here but apparently last year they barely had a day or two of white fluffy stuff. 

    Until next time, if you haven't read the books and only seen the movies, I recommend starting the LOTR trilogy.   Goodbye precious!

Gabbi the Grey



P.S. This picture made me incredibly happy to see because my mom has it as well.  It just so happens to hang next to my bed. It's one of my favorites of all time.  Feels like home.



No comments:

Post a Comment